Friday, January 1, 2010

Moses' Requests

Exodus 33:12–13 (HCSB)

Moses said to the LORD, "Look, You have told me, "Lead this people up,’ but You have not let me know whom You will send with me. You said, "I know you by name, and you have also found favor in My sight.’ Now if I have indeed found favor in Your sight, please teach me Your ways, and I will know You and find favor in Your sight. Now consider that this nation is Your people."


Notice that Moses did not say, “LORD, give me….” He was not looking at God’s hand. He was looking at God’s heart.


Moses made four requests. These were:

  1. “Please teach me Your ways”

Moses wanted to know the LORD more intimately. He has seen the Lord’s miracles. Now he just wants to know the LORD Himself. Are we there? I think the average Christian is more concerned with seeing God’s wonders than knowing God’s ways. We want God’s hand, not His heart.

  1. 2) “Go with us”

Moses said, “I and Your people will be distinguished by this from all the other people on the face of the earth” (33:16). Our distinguishing mark, our “brand”, is to be the presence of the LORD God with us. Alas, this is not the case today! We are recognized today by feuding and fighting amongst ourselves, and by what we are against. If God is with us, shouldn’t that be noticeable? After Pentecost some people were afraid to join the church because God was with them, and others were afraid not too! Either way, they could not be ignored! Today we go unnoticed—and this is our greatest shame!

  1. 3) “Show me Your glory”

Moses was in over his head on this one! But, bless his heart, he wanted to be more intimately acquainted with the LORD. The Lord bless all of us who have that desire! A glimpse of glory is a good thing.

  1. 4) “Forgive our wrongdoing and sin, and accept us as Your own possession”

This is the reason the LORD not being with them. They had sinned! They stubbornly persisted in disobedience. Are we not just like them? If we would obey the LORD would be evidently among us—and the nations would see His glory!

No comments:

Post a Comment