Monday, January 25, 2010

Are Children Safe?

What about children and salvation? What about children who die? Where do they go? Do they go to heaven even though they have not made a profession of faith in Christ? Is there an “age of accountability”—a magical age that a person reaches when they are accountable for their soul? I think this verse speaks to that:


“Your little children whom you said would be plunder, your sons who don’t know good from evil, will enter there. I will give them the land, and they will take possession of it” (Deuteronomy 1:39, HCSB).


This gives us a glimpse into the mind of God in this matter. Those children who were too young to “know good from evil” were not just allowed to enter the land, they were promised the land. God said these children “will enter there.” He said, “I will give them the land, and they will take possession of it.” This is strong language! The more you read it, the more impressive it is.


These children were not responsible for the rebellion of their parents. Their parents refused to enter the Promised Land. I think that had it been up to those children they would have marched right in!


When is this “age of accountability”? We do not know. This is different for every child. Every child matures at a different pace. Surely those children who grow up in a Christian home come to this understanding more quickly. I believe that these children also put their trust in Christ more readily.


The time when a child becomes aware of their guilt and need for forgiveness is different for each one. But before that time I believe they were promised heaven and guaranteed the privilege of entering into it. This is what Jesus meant when He said to the disciples, “I assure you…unless you are converted and become like children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven” (Matthew 18:3, HCSB). Faith is a quality we naturally grow out of, not into. Humility is also a quality children seem to possess quite naturally, but as adults we struggle to let go of our pride.

Do children go to heaven? We cannot know for sure when they cross that line from innocence to accountability, but we can know for certain that until that line is crossed they are completely safe.


I don’t worry about them. I’m more concerned for us.

3 comments:

  1. I don't know... I agree with what you say about children who die before the age of accountability - before knowing good from evil - going to heaven... although perhaps mostly from a "That just sounds right to me." basis. But it seems to me like it's a bit of stretch to say that God taking these (now adult) Israelites into the promised land is symbolic of Him taking (pre-accountable) children into heaven. I've heard this verse, in combination with Numbers 14:29, used to say that anyone who dies before the age of 20 will automatically go to heaven. However I sure wouldn't want to bet the eternal life of my teenager on that interpretation. Is there a more definite assurance in scripture about the destination of those who die as young children?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was simply saying the thing that is obvious-- that God did not hold these now adult children responsible for the failure of their parents. maybe this is a stretch to compare this to an age when children are responsible before God. I don't know, but i think the basic truth is there. another Scripture is Matthew 18:1-9. There Jesus says that the kingdom of heaven is populated with people who are "like this child." Children are naturally accepting of Jesus. We say to children, "Wait until you are older, then you can be saved." We try to make men out of boys. Jesus tried to make boys out of men.

    said a precious little laddie
    to his father dear one day:
    may i give my heart to jesus,
    and let Him wash my sins away?

    oh no, my son, you're too little
    wait until you older grow
    big folks, tis true, need Jesus,
    but little ones are safe, you know.

    said a father to his laddie
    as a storm was coming on
    are the sheep all safely in the harbor
    sheltered from the storm, my son?

    the big ones are, my father,
    but the lambs, i let them go
    i did not think it mattered,
    the little ones are safe, you know.

    oh my brother, oh my sister
    have we too made that same mistake?
    little hearts that now are open,
    may be hardened then too late.

    before the evil days come near them
    let the children come to Me
    and forbid them not, said Jesus,
    for of such shall my kingdom be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Moving poem. Thanks.

    My daughter was saved at the age of 4 - on the way to preschool at FBC. She asked how to be saved and I explained it to her. She wanted to do it right then, so we stopped next to Ingles and prayed in the car. She was ready, she knew what she was doing, and she's never looked back. She doesn't have much in the way of "before I became a Christian" stories, but what a blessing it has been to her life to know Jesus all this time. I wasn't saved until 24, and it was a much more difficult journey.

    I think once a child is old enough to ask the question, "What must I do to be saved?," he's old enough to choose the Answer.

    ReplyDelete