Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Watching for God's Answer

Habakkuk 2:1

“I will stand at my guard post

and station myself on the lookout tower.

I will watch to see what He will say to me

and what I should reply about my complaint.”


Habakkuk determined that he would wait for God’s answer. He also said that he would say nothing else about this matter until he had heard from God.


We are so impatient when it comes to… well, everything—especially prayer. We think that God should answer us right now, as if He owes us that.


God does not need time to think about His answer. He knows His answer. But He thinks it necessary that we wait. Perhaps this is to prepare us for His answer.


There is a valuable lesson for us here: we must learn to watch for God’s answer. I did not say, “wait” but “watch.” “Waiting” is passive. “Watching” is active. Maybe we miss some of God’s answers because we are not watching for them. They go right by us without us even noticing them. Our minds were focused elsewhere.


What are you asking God for right now? What is your attitude in the meantime: are you waiting or are you standing watch for his answer like a sentry at his post?

1 comment:

  1. Oh me.

    How many times I have waited at the post tapping my foot impatiently for answers or directions....or, even worse, I fell asleep at the post and missed Him completely.

    Thank you for this post Bro. George. This post was meant for me.

    ReplyDelete