Wednesday, September 16, 2009

The Requirement for Fellowship with God

Amos 3:3

“Can two walk together without agreeing to meet?”


The answer is an obvious “no.” Two cannot be in fellowship unless agree to meet together. If they refuse to meet they cannot walk in fellowship.


The obvious application to this is our relationship to our fellow man. But that is not the primary application here. God is speaking and He is speaking to us. Can we walk in fellowship with God if we refuse to meet with Him? Maybe refuse is too harsh a word. We do not “refuse” to meet with God. That would be rebellious. No, we would never do such a thing. But do we meet with God? Do we meet with Him on a regular basis? Do we meet with Him daily, as He desires? Do we?


Ah, we are too busy. We have other more pressing matters to attend to. There are emergencies. Our schedules are too full and our customers are demanding our attention. No, we do not “refuse” to meet with God. We would, if we could. Our problem is that God gets pushed out of our lives. He is way down our list of priorities. Our problem is neglect. We become so busy that God gets squeezed out of our lives. But the question remains: “Can two walk together without agreeing to meet?” The answer is still “No.” God wants to meet with us. He carves time out of His busy schedule every day to meet with us. He desires nothing more than to have some one-on-one time with us. But do we have time for Him? And if we don’t, can we be in fellowship with Him?


Make time for God today!

2 comments:

  1. You are so right about the neglect of our relationship with God. It's one of those things that just happens unless we intentionally choose to spend the time with Him. You know, I am not a morning person. For years... decades... I resisted the establishment of a morning quiet time with God. I would say I'd make time for Him later in the day - when I was "at my best." Trouble is, the cares of the day came up like weeds and swallowed up my time. Too often I'd find myself at the end of the day having spent no quality time with the One I claim to love most. Finally, since it wasn't working to give Him my "best" time, I decided I would give Him my FIRST time. Since then I've been faithful - rarely missing a morning quiet time. And the funny thing is, I've discovered that being with Him has turned my first hour of the day also into my best hour. What do you know - I can be a morning person after all. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I encourage you to keep at it. Satan will do anything he can to steal this time from you. he cannot without your permission.

    ReplyDelete