Monday, August 24, 2009

I’ve been away for a while. Some of you know that my sister, Emalee, went home to be with the Lord last week. Her funeral was Thursday in Mobile. I know I will see her again one day.

Daniel 6:10 (HCSB)

When Daniel learned that the document had been signed, he went into his house. The windows in its upper room opened toward Jerusalem, and three times a day he got down on his knees, prayed, and gave thanks to his God, just as he had done before.

There was a conspiracy against Daniel. Daniel’s enemies plotted to use his devotion to God against him. The important part of this verse is the last phrase: “…just as he had done before.” Daniel did not change a thing. There was no need for Daniel to “get his house in order.” His house was already in order.

Would that be true of us? If we learned of a conspiracy against our lives, what would we do? I guess the first question would be this: “Could they use our devotion to God against us?” Does that kind of devotion even exist? Remember this: our relationship to God is the most important relationship in our lives. That is priority #1.

If there were such a conspiracy, would we change anything? Daniel is a great example of integrity. Integrity is one of those words difficult to define. Try this on for size: Integrity means “Nothing to change; nothing to hide.”

1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry about Emalee's death and the hole that must leave in your life. My prayers are with you. I can't help but rejoice for her, though, and what she's experiencing now. Now she sees face to face what we're still only seeing as in a mirror dimly!

    I love Daniel and the kind of life we're challenged to live by reading his story. He's called "man of high esteem" by angels. What a testimony! What a worthy example he gives us. Would I have the courage to face death for my faith? This is a question that always drives me to my knees.

    ReplyDelete