Tuesday, October 27, 2009

A Tranquil Heart

“A tranquil heart is life to the body,

but jealousy is rottenness to the bones.”

~Proverbs 14:28


Thom Rainer wrote a book called “Simple Life.” He interviewed 1077 people and asked them some basic questions about life. Most said their lives were so cluttered with stuff and pursuing things that they had lost the joy of life.


A tranquil heart is a contented heart. Paul said that “Godliness with contentment is great gain” (1 Timothy 6:6). Professional marketers are constantly telling us that we need one more thing to be happy. Can I really be happy without a big screen TV? Can I really be happy with the mate I have? Can I really be happy with last year’s model automobile? Can I really be happy in the house I live in? Can I really be happy with this computer? The message is always “No; you have to but now!”


We look at what the neighbors have and we feel our lives are shortchanged. Why hasn’t God blessed us? We want their car, their boat, their hardwood floors, their bonus, etc. We make ourselves miserable with our wanting. Why not just be satisfied with what we have? When will we realize that the things that make for a happy, fulfilling life are not the things that accumulate in our garage?


Tranquility of heart does not happen automatically with the next trip to Sears. It happens when we say, “I have enough. I am blessed. God, thank You for what I have. Help me to be a good steward.”

2 comments:

  1. Wise counsel!

    I had enough to eat today and a friend with whom to share it. I have a warm, dry place to sleep tonight. Do I realize I'm incredibly weathy compared to millions of people in this world? But even some who are hungry and poorly sheltered have great joy and contentment because they have the ONE thing that truly matters - a relationship with Jesus! Do I have Jesus in my life? I have everything! Is He absent from my heart? I could gain the whole world, but nothing will every truly satisfy me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As of Oct. 2009 our country is at an alarming $1.4 trillion deficit! That is not simply the result of a slowing economy or a failed economic policy. It is the symptom of our country seeking something to fill the many cracks created by removing Christ! Like all sin (and massive debt is one!) this one will have a consequence some of which we already are seeing materialize - lack of tranquility or peace within our population. We each can make choices that honor God and the peace that we have is a testimony to those seeking the stuff to fill their void of Christ. Amen.

    ReplyDelete