Saturday, July 25, 2009

God's New Contract

Ezekiel 16:59–63 (HCSB)

"For this is what the Lord GOD says: I will deal with you according to what you have done, since you have despised the oath by breaking the covenant.

But I will remember the covenant I made with you in the days of your youth, and I will establish an everlasting covenant with you.

Then you will remember your ways and be ashamed when you receive your older and younger sisters. I will give them to you as daughters, but not because of your covenant.

I will establish My covenant with you, and you will know that I am the LORD, so that when I make atonement for all you have done, you will remember and be ashamed, and never open your mouth again because of your disgrace." ‹This is› the declaration of the Lord GOD.

Here God talks about renewing His covenant with Israel, but on different terms. Now, instead of it all depending on Israel, it will all depend on Him. And it will be an everlasting covenant. He says, “I will make atonement for all you have done….”

This was done at the cross. God has established a new contract with us. He takes full responsibility for fulfilling all the terms and conditions of this contract. All we have to do is put our trust in Jesus Christ as our Savior.

At the cross a sovereign and infinite God did everything that needed to be done to make fallible and finite men forever right with Himself. This contract ensures everlasting salvation to all you come by faith to Christ. Since we did nothing to establish this contract, we can do nothing to dissolve this contract. God Himself has taken upon Himself responsibility for doing it all. Now all that remains is for us to simply exercise childlike faith and accept it. Praise God!

No comments:

Post a Comment